Author Topic: Break a leg........ or (string)  (Read 4648 times)

TrammiV02

Break a leg........ or (string)
« on: June 11, 2011, 01:08:39 PM »
Hi everyone!

Today I'm performing with diabolo, and some of the worst thing happend..
For about a week ago my aunt asked if I could perform with the diabolo for the kids. So I stared practising immediately, and then my henrys string broke.
And if I put on a new one it's gonna get slippery, and ruin the hole performance. So what I did was I glued it together, and it worked! Well, for a about 2 days......
And now, 2 hours before I go, my string broke again! And I don't have soap to fix it now so........
I'll hope it works out today, wish my good luck.;):D

ThomasCaret

Re: Break a leg........ or (string)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 06:04:23 PM »
If it's broken near the end, just make it a little smaller.
but new string + soap is really good to get used to, because it can be constant, unlike getting it burned it.

seán_

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 07:39:21 PM »
In emergency stand on the string (not barefoot :P ) and pull it through. You have to be careful not to turn the string too grippy though.

Sometimes if you find the strings too grippy running the string through your hair (usually around the back of your kneck) can help. Handy to remeber if you ever find yourself with string that mysteriously has turned useless just before you need it.

Invest in a second set of sticks so you can always have decent string (maybe keep a few lengths of string that are just right for you).

TrammiV02

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 11:22:06 PM »
I just came home from the performance, and when sorta great and wrong.......¨
First.. I have: 2 tailbolos, 2 little weight diabolos, 1 pair of supergrind handsticks(little weight) and 1 pair of henrys alu.
Before I left I really didn't trust the string so I brought all. Just in case. ;)
And I'm glad I did! During my performance my string on the supergrind broke :O! I just started with 1d, and didn't get to the 2ds. So I grabbed my alu's and couldn't continue on 1d because, of the unusual weight on the sticks so......  yeah, yeah.
but everyone said I was great, and that made my day. :)

In emergency stand on the string (not barefoot :P ) and pull it through. You have to be careful not to turn the string too grippy though.
Do you mean I should step on the new, grippy string and pull it back and forth or...?
I really need to learn this cause I'm also having a talent show for this wednesday. And I think I'm gonna use another string for this one, or else....... That can happend again, witch I don't want cause that was embarrassing

ThomasCaret

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 12:17:57 AM »
Do you mean I should step on the new, grippy string and pull it back and forth or...?
New string that's slippery, you can stand on it and pull it across the bottom of your shoes to make it grippy

TrammiV02

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 03:09:54 PM »
Any special shoes or? btw I switched string this morning ;)

seán_

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 06:48:41 PM »
experiment with the shoes. But trainers rather than leather soled formals. (And this method is never my first choice)

How long does it take you to wear string in? If I had a gig on Wed I'd be more worried about the string being dead before then (although I wouldn't since I have plenty of the same sticks and I'm not too precious about how my string feels any more)

NicholasTo

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 07:39:35 PM »
I think the grippy feel of standing on the string and pull it across the bottom of the shoes is not as good as the grippy feeling of using the string for a while, as sometimes it may get to grippy and the feeling is unnatural :P(I have tried this before because I usually use Sundia's string but one day when I was practising in my school, the string broken and I had no more Sundia's string for replacement, so I use Henry's string and then step on it :P)

Same as  seán, standing on the string is not my first choice, I suggest it to be just an emergent solution. :(

TrammiV02

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 10:53:30 PM »
I used the hair method and it worked a bit, but I have been practising alot outside so it is almost there.;)
I'm a girl so i thought that the hair method sounded pretty easy, and it was. Thanks to everyone, but feeling free to come up with more solutions ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal