Author Topic: How do you speed up your diabolo?  (Read 38489 times)

diabololi

How do you speed up your diabolo?
« on: November 25, 2004, 10:17:31 AM »
I always use wrapped orbits, but I have heard that chinese acceleration is better, should I try and learn it, or keep with what I am happy with?

Which way do you lot use?

Thanks
Oli

seán_

Re: How do you speed up your diabolo?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 11:44:49 AM »
Better?

Tell who ever told you that if they ever were to witness Bulgarian power thrusts* they'd soon know what method was better.

I quite like wrapped orbits, and Chinese whips and snaps.  they basically all do the same thing.
Theres a whole set of them here http://diabolotricks.com/Addspin.htm

Sometimes I just roll the diabolo enough to get it started and then do a series of tricks to get the speed up eventually. (orbits, suns etc).

Really I'd say just use which ever method you like. Some people would sugest that if you are performing if you use a few different methods the uninitiated will take them for tricks (which they are when you think about it but you get what I mean).

Seán_

*trick might not exist

diabololi

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 12:07:44 PM »
Yeh, I guess you're right. Has anyone here come up with an original way of speeding their diabolo up?

kragen

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 12:44:09 PM »
nope, but im working on it, just some combination of power orbits chienese whipping, just to make it look a little more intresting for stage performances :)
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 03:03:43 PM »
Quote from: diabololi
Has anyone here come up with an original way of speeding their diabolo up?

Wow, that's a loaded question ;) There are TONS of original ways people have developed and will develop to speed up a diabolo - far too many to list on a forum. I'll mention one cool way to start and accelerate one diabolo (and no, I didn't think of this myself, Priam showed me - I don't know who first thought of it): put the diabolo on the ground with a normal backwrap on it and hold only the right stick (for righties). Quickly lift the stick, giving it some initial speed, and start using an infinite suicide to accelerate the diabolo.

Arjan

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 03:51:08 PM »
Wrapped orbits do the job for me. If your talking about one. My coolest way of starting 2 diabolo`s was soem weeks earlier the video of the week with the darkside S-Fan start.
But speeding up one... orbits do the job. Sometimes I use chinese acceleration.

Martijn

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 04:44:34 PM »
I use the wrapped orbits and chinese whips... :D

QUOTH

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 10:20:58 PM »
imhappy with normal whips, and ive found away to get some speed but im wondering about all the terms i here[like chinease/japanese whips, ect] and would appreciate some advice :)

at the moment i just wrap the string and sort of do verry tiny orbits. just roll the diabolo aling the string from right to left quickly then give the diabolo enough slack whilst moving my hands back to the starting position so i can repeat without losing speed. i hope that made sence. it works but id like something a tad more elegant, whilst still being effective.

so, anyone got suggested methods for me?
If you see me please feel free to come over and give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

I use red and black circus's, wear to much black and will be at the BJC.

Llama_Bill

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 10:32:30 PM »
That is a very small wrapped orbit just make the movement of the diabolo bigger and you'll be able to get all the speed you want, I find a left back wrap most effective.  The acceleration is Chinese whips (Japanese whips are an extremely cool slack trick and can be found here) look here at Chinese Whip Thrusts and Chinese Snaps.  The main thing is to keep your left hand nice and relaxed and the acceleration is less likely to go wrong if your string is okay.
Bill.

Roysta

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 10:44:42 PM »
I feel obliged to elaborate on what Llama_Bill means by "go wrong" ;-)

If the diabolo is going too fast and you have a wrap around it, it may bind.  It will "stick" to the string and suck it all in to the spool, until the axle of the diabolo hits the end of your handstick.  

If you are holding the handstick loosely it can be pulled out of your hand and then whip around to crack you on the knuckles.  If you are using aluminum handsticks they might gouge a divot in your axle.  If you are using fiberglass handsticks they will sometimes shatter, occasionally putting splinters in your hand.

Good chinese whipping technique will make this a lot less likely to happen.  Also the slicker your string the less likely it will bind.  If you find that binds are happening often, you probably need to change your string.

QUOTH

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 10:57:07 PM »
so japanese whips arnt acc tricks? ok.

i cant get chinease anything, the diablo just creaps along the stick to the left, away from my whipping hand.

another thing i can do is do the simple start with 2 diabolo's[been trying it with one for now] where when you have one spinning you just wrap the second diabolo in the right string and get it spinning before you let it drop to start orbits.

ps, please correct me if im using the wrong terms  :wink:
If you see me please feel free to come over and give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

Llama_Bill

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 10:58:41 PM »
Hold the left stick higher and looser and it should work.
Bill.

QUOTH

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2005, 11:21:11 PM »
tell me about it, its happened loads. got used to dealing with it and finally got more sting in the post today.

looser where? for the whips are you accelerating in the up whip or down whip, or both  :? im asking so i know when to loosen. i feel slightly foolish asking so many questions, tho we all have to find out sometime

seán_

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 01:17:56 AM »
You can accelerate in the up whip using the right hand on its own, you can also accelerate using the left on the down (bit trickier IMHO), at least thats how I find it.

Theres some links earlier in this thread to the diabolotricks.com section that deals with speeding up using various whips and wrapped orbits

You might also want to check out this thread Tricks that add spin

QUOTH

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005, 06:29:40 AM »
ive searched and found that thread, thanks :)

hopefully this will be enough to learn chinease whips, ill give it ago, all seems alittle more clear now.

and i can see what i was doing wrong.

MOD: Deleted q about 2d, moved it to starting 2

Diab_olik

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 08:57:33 AM »
With one diabolo, i mainly use orbit wrap acceleration, and chinese acceleration. (I'm rightee, so for leftee, replace left by right)

:arrow: Chinese acceleration: No doubts that it's the quickest way to speed up your diabolo. You can do it in different ways. You can can make quick and short up-and-down moves with your right hand with the diabolo near to the right stick. I'd rather like to make smooth and large moves. When i do this acceleration the diabolo go slowly between 20 cm upper the floor and over my head, but it's very efficient and pretty i think.

:arrow: Wrap orbit acceleration: It is an efficient way to accelerate a diabolo to, and it's a discrete way too, betweens some suns. A way to hide this acceleration is to do a right between-arms-suns but with a wrap at end, then one orbit with the wrap, and then you remove the wrap with a left between-arms-sun.

Chinese acceleration is more efficient, because the diabolo is speeded up during the move up, and the move down.

As Sean has said, there is lots of pretty ways to accelerate diabolo, inifinite suicides, a series of chained mini-genocide, arms, legs or body orbits, et cetera...

Pierre
Pierre

Spink

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 12:18:56 PM »
Ginger Tom form Pontefract has a really flowy chinese whip that looks like no one elses i have seen.

You'll probably see it in the video if i can just get him to put down those rizlas :wink: ....
3rd Base + Hubstacks =

Jester

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 02:31:29 PM »
I found anew accelaration tonight

or a start anyway

for Excalibur

put diabolo on floor, wrap front cone with right handstick, then jam right hand stick against axle and take out all the slack with left stick, then lift diabolo off the ground and hold it in vertical excalibur position, turn around on the spot keeping the right stick pressed against the diabolo so it doesn't go anywhere, then when u are ready realease the tension slightly and the diabolo and it should start rotating the right way

i haven't quite got the hang of how to go into whip from it but i've only been doing it for a few hours
do it, do it ,do it, DO IT!

Spooned

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 03:54:00 PM »
Woah, sounds cool, ill be trying that today.
Diabolo or Diablo

Diab_olik

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2005, 04:49:12 PM »
I think that the start that Jester spoke is the start that Vux (in the MFP) uses to begin excalibur.
It's a pretty start, and practice, you don't need to spend time to turn your diabolo to horizontal plane.

Pierre
Pierre

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal