Author Topic: The 4 sprinkler entries: a short tutorial  (Read 36686 times)

Sean

• Administrator
The 4 sprinkler entries: a short tutorial
« on: November 25, 2004, 09:51:29 PM »
I was discussing some sprinkler entries with Norbi today and the uselesness of words to describe these moves soon became apparent. I grabbed my camera and filmed, edited, converted, and posted a short video in 30 minutes. Then I figured I might as well share it in hopes that it will help others.

http://diabolo.ca/video/sean_4sprinklers.mpg  (5mb)

mirror: http://66.49.236.16/temp/sean_4sprinklers.mpeg

The 4 entries shown in approximate order of difficulty are:

1. Left hand backwrap
2. Left hand frontwrap
3. Right hand backwrap
4. Right hand frontwrap

The resulting sprinkler position is the same in #1 and #3 as well as between #2 and #4. It was #4 I was discussing with Norbi - it's by far the hardest of the 4. There are two versions of #3 (the right hand backwrap). The first is an aggressive version where a lot of spin is required and the sprinkler is 'squished' at first. The second is a slower non-swinging version in which the sprinkler is not 'squished' initially. You loose less spin with this second version. If you want to get triple backwrapped sprinklers you will probably have to adopt a less aggressive style like this one.

If anyone wants to do a video tutorial at this point let me know. I think Arjan and Norbi have something up their sleeves right now.

Cheers,
Sean

diabololi

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 09:45:43 AM »
I didnt know there were so many ways of getting into sprinkler!

Hmm, what I really want is a few simple 2 diabolo tricks slowed down and explained (arm stalls, vortexes, magic knots etc)

If you could do that, it would be great!

Thanks
Oli

P.S. Is excalibur hard? I can nearly get it horizontal and spinning

Oli

Arjan

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 01:53:53 PM »
Nice video Sean!
I always have material to show... but not right now, after Norbi I guess.
I know there is a 5th way to get into the sprinkler, using a knot transfert.

I`m exited to see that movie of Norbi to!!  :lol:

seán_

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 02:43:24 PM »
Very handy video Sean.

Arjan, a sixth way, from a left stick trap.

Norbi I wouldnt mind a tutorial on your genowind (leg kick trick), I picked up a lot of tricks from your videos but I got nowhere with this one. Though I would say that any tutorial would be welcomed.

Oli there is a nice slo-mo of a vortex as part of Seans Fan tutorial video, I would also recomend you have a go at the tricks on Barnesys site (if you have not done so allready)
http://2diabolo.net/?section=5
http://2diabolo.net/?page=4
Also there is a link to VLC a media player that will allow you to slow down videos.

Seán_

Martijn

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 02:47:38 PM »
Yeah, great vid Sean! Tutorials are always very nice! I look forward to Norbi's stuff! I only have trouble with the righthand entry... :( It ends up with a wrap on only 1 diabolo..... :cry:

MattF

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 08:22:06 PM »
awesome video Sean. Thanks for posting it. I also didn't know you could get into the sprinkler using some of those methods. Will have to try them out.

diabololi

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 04:26:53 PM »
Thanks lots séan, I got vortex today! It still feels a bit weird but I like it!
Oli

Tom Derrick

Sprinkler help
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 06:51:27 PM »
I can get into the sprinkler, but I have a lot of trouble running it. After one or two revolutions, they collide and tangle. Is there any way to stop this?

MattF

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 07:48:36 PM »
Try speeding up the diabolos for a bit more time before you attempt it.
 I find you need a fair amount of speed if you want to pull them off for any length of time whatsoever.

Is it that the diabolos are falling out of line or is it that the hyperloop collapses quickly?

Tom Derrick

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 09:23:36 PM »
The problem i have is that the diabolos get very close together quickly. I haven't got it going for long enough for them to fall out of line.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 09:32:02 PM »
You need A LOT of speed. Generally you will need to whip the diabolos to get enough speed for a good sprinkler. Unless you're Finnish apparently - check out some of the triple sprinklers these guys pull off with no whipping!

Other than that, the motion you use to get into a sprinkler can make a difference. Ultimately, it comes down to practice. Mostly practice at getting 2 diabolos to a very high speed (which is a good skill to have for all tricks).

Sean

nik

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2004, 07:17:28 PM »
aha i will have to practice diffirent ways to get into it shown on the vid. cheers for that its cool to learn new ways to get into the same trick it helps when your trying to link them together

i  have difficulty getting into a double though, are there any tips, like does a new string help etc? also does a small exploded sprinkler help it to last longer? i have tried getting them both inside a trapeze ie a sprinkler with your stick in the loop but with no sucess, does this work at all?? if not is there a way to open it up if the diabolos are spinning fast but still gettin close together?

cheers! :)

AssaF

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2004, 10:18:14 PM »
wow i really liked it
ill try it and see if its hard
thanks for sharing!!!!

AssaF :wink:
life is like a bike,
if its to easy you are probably going down

seán_

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2004, 10:52:19 PM »
Quote from: nik
i have tried getting them both inside a trapeze ie a sprinkler with your stick in the loop but with no sucess, does this work at all??

so do you mean do a sprinkler then send it over into a shuffleover? I just had a crack at it but unfortunately ran out of string length. Ah well, wouldn't mind seeing if this is doable.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2004, 07:18:54 AM »
i have difficulty getting into a double though, are there any tips, like does a new string help etc?
I think both string that is too slippery (new) or too old can make sprinklers a bit harder but should never make it impossible. Having string that is long enough helps too. Speed and practice are the key elements.
also does a small exploded sprinkler help it to last longer?

Interesting idea. I've been playing with that recently. If you get the rhythm just right you can sort of 'pump' the sprinkler and keep it going longer - similar to a synchronized driving of a two diabolo shuffle.

You may notice me doing something like that in the last sprinkler entry on the video. In that clip the spinkler starts off crooked and I'm sort of pushing the sprinkler over with my left stick to straighten it out. I can't really explain this all that well, but it works. Maybe I'll shoot an overhead video of it someday if anyone's interested.

Sean

Tom Derrick

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2004, 06:51:29 PM »
Cheers Sean. I'll get some new string (mine is about 5 months old), and practice my accelerations.

Elmeri

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2004, 06:25:58 PM »
Quote from: Sean
You need A LOT of speed. Generally you will need to whip the diabolos to get enough speed for a good sprinkler. Unless you're Finnish apparently - check out some of the triple sprinklers these guys pull off with no whipping!

Sean

I´m Finnish... but I can´t do same speeding than Aaro (the finnish guy in those videos). He tried to teach it to me in last 531 (one juggling featival, by ville walo and others...) here in Finland. My physics just can´t do so fast armwork, so I stay in whipping. And I want to learn that style what Aaro uses because with that you can do very cool under leg and stuff...

Arjan

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2004, 06:34:10 PM »
That way of speeding up is nice! never seen it done that way. I know Dai did it on his site.

kragen

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2004, 04:01:02 PM »
ah quality stuf!

at the moment my shuffle is pretty much spot on, and with a good throw in I can keep the shuffle going for some time... but as ofyet im not really getting anywhere with the corrections.

I was going to force myself to learn corrections before I learnt any tricks, but thats meanaing im just spending a lot of time doing my pretty much perfect shuffle waiting for the diabolo to go out of correction!

I'm had a quick go at a stopover, and ive heard a grind is a good starter trick, im also keen to have a go at the hyperloop / sprinkler, however ambitious it might be :P but I cant find a good guide or video how to get into it.
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

diabololi

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2004, 05:27:18 PM »
I was mystified by hyperloops and I was determined to learn it, I learnt it quite early (within a week).
The way I learnt them was to think of it as a short sun with 2 diabolos.
http://www.diabolotricks.com/Suns.htm

Make sure both diabolos hit the string or either 1- you will get tangled or 2- one will go into a Left wrap.

To unwrap it, you need to do a right hand front side unwrap- sorry I don't know how to explain it, watch a video of someone.

Give that a go. I learnt tricks and corrections at the same time so I didn't have to wait for the diabolos to go out of line.

Hope this helps
Oli

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal