Author Topic: trick copy right  (Read 6204 times)

maxmaestro

trick copy right
« on: January 08, 2011, 09:38:35 AM »
I'm sure there's probably a thread about this somewhere but i had a quick look and couldn't find one.
so i was wondering, what's the rule about using tricks that you've seen in someone's video in a performance, or video of your own?

thanks max

luabduch

Re: trick copy right
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 12:28:25 PM »
As I know, there's no problem on using tricks you see in other people videos...

the knowledge has no owner, it's free and it must be shared (at least when you talk about juggling tricks)

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 03:37:29 PM »
You might want to read through following topics:

Copying New Tricks - http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=7073.0
Naming of Tricks - http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=4537.0
To steal or not to steal - http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3160.0
New diaboloing attitude? - http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3162.0

Cheers.
┬źDiabolo, whiter than the whitest!┬╗

wgm

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 11:23:49 PM »
it probably depends on the trick. If everyone was commenting on the original saying "oh i love the trick at _:__!!!" you would probably get a big reaction from people if you filmed that trick, but if the trick you do is not the centerpiece of the original video I don't think too many people would mind.

SebiHausi

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 09:20:01 AM »
everybody steals tricks nowadays, thats ok imo, but you shouldnt use them in your videos or in shows. btw im talking about stuff like bodycombos integrals which arent part of the "basic tricks".

maxmaestro

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 10:22:09 AM »
what if the trick is like the original trick but has a different ending or something? i guess a bit like a variation?

maxmaestro

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 01:17:17 PM »
or if its part of a combo

Arthur

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 07:40:11 PM »
I don't think its possible to copyright a body movement (moving 2 sticks, a string, and 1 or more diabolo's with it)

Tipper

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »
Uhh yeah i copyrighted the name of this thread so unfortunately you are not allowed to write the 3 words "trick", "copy" or "right" in the same sentence.

Of course you can't copyright a trick. Use every trick or combo you see as much as you like. Those combos are build from other tricks too, by the way.

The first guy spinning a diabolo could have copyrighted that too so we are all stealing that?
-Tipper
Error 404 - Siteswap not found

jordak

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 12:26:09 AM »
I think that anyone who invents a trick would like nothing more than to see other people imitate and further develop it. Obviously, if you're doing a trick that you saw someone else do, you shouldn't claim to have invented it yourself and you should probably acknowledge the creator for inspiring you.
Diabolo may be very technical - but don't overlook the artistic side ;-)

Icebox

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 03:08:48 AM »
I think that anyone who invents a trick would like nothing more than to see other people imitate and further develop it. Obviously, if you're doing a trick that you saw someone else do, you shouldn't claim to have invented it yourself and you should probably acknowledge the creator for inspiring you.
Thus the 'thanks to' parts of many videos coming out now.

Rapido

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 12:14:18 PM »
I think copying a trick is one very good way to learn your own tricks.
But when you copy tricks all the time, you can loose the motivation finding out own tricks.
Some people forget that they copied the trick and tell at every person thats there own. And that really bad.

When i am on a convention and somebody shows me a trick he copied from somebody then i love to know from which person the idea is. I dont like it persons posing with strainge tricks.

For me myself i dont like to copy a trick. I like to watch to tricks of others, maybe learn some to unterstand how this can be done and then i try to create my own.

Sometime I take a start of a trick of somebody and try to find out the own trick and own exit.

Btw. If somebody would copy my trick and tell to somebody i show you a trick from Rapido, then i would say thanks that I could give you the inspiration. so next time, maybe, you show me yours. :)

Not Skilled Yet

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 06:06:50 PM »
Nowadays, the style is usually to do combos, so people almost never copy those in videos. Transcribing in music is the best example of acceptable copying. You copy everything as close as you can, taking every aspect into account, but you don't claim it as your own, merely practicing other's style to further develop your own, or putting it into a tribute album to the person you transcribed from. Just don't put it into a video, or give credit to the person, and then you'll be fine.
fluffy kitty

maxmaestro

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 08:05:55 PM »
thanks guys  that was basically what i wanted to know.
 @tipper i guess saying copy righting tricks wasnt what i ment i just sort of meant copying trick if seen in video's and using them in a video of my own. but if i am planning to use someones trick in a combo or theire combo in a video etc. should i ask them if they're cool with that in advance?

Icebox

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 08:08:06 PM »
I don't think the creator would mind, but everybody watching it might not be happy with seeing a combo somebody else has already done.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal