Author Topic: Sticktrap Concept (IJA video tutorial contest 2012)  (Read 6993 times)

luabduch

Sticktrap Concept (IJA video tutorial contest 2012)
« on: March 30, 2012, 06:36:38 PM »
Here's my entry to IJA contest this year.
I hope you enjoy it.
Comments and criticisms are very welcome!

Sticktrap Concept - Diabolo tutorial (IJA video tutorial contest 2012)

I really encourage you to watch it on youtube, there's a trick menu on the description box.

wmjbyatt

Re: Sticktrap Concept (IJA video tutorial contest 2012)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 11:49:14 PM »
Thanks for the tutorial! I have one question, though: whenever I try to sticktrap with a diabolo spinning with any kind of real velocity, it always rolls out when it makes contact with my arm: I can't seem to get it to stop spinning in time to stay in place and actually sticktrap properly. Do you have any advice, or do I just need to keep practicing?

Wis

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 01:39:12 PM »
I really like this tutorial since it takes a simple concept and shows its possibilities.
I have a trick that I really like with 2D in this line (already done in a past circoforum collab) and I will try to make a video response.
The biggest con I see in the tutorial is that the echo recording there is horrible, many times I canĀ“t heard. I think you should have switched to off voice mode.
Good luck!
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

luabduch

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 03:00:11 PM »
@wmjbyatt, this is probably normal when you're starting, practice will make it easier.
I still have problems to control left sticktraps when I have too much speed.
right sticktraps are easier to control.
Maybe trying to do it with less speed, in the begginning, will make it easier too.

@Wis, I'm really glad you liked it, and I'd love to watch a video response with variations! I probably have one or two more that I forgot to put in the video and I'll remember in a few days...
Yes, I didn't expected the echo to be so bad. We'll have better sound on next tutorial.
What's off voice mode?

Wis

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 09:39:19 PM »
Sorry, I wrote in a rush and I translated directly from Spanish. I meant voice-over: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1201706

luabduch

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 02:12:06 PM »
Oh, now I get it.
It's like what I did on 2 diabolos sticktrap start!
Yes, I should have done this the whole video.
Probably an external mic would work too!

Arjan

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »
You MUST redo the audio m8, just the first 2 seconds already it was very very annoying, and you do not want that for your audience. Great subject, but I have to say, besides from the basic concept of this move, there was really no need to get into all those detailed moves you did after a while. Those were your findings that simply applied with the basic concept. I hope the modern day juggler is a little bit more self intuitive and creative in this sense, and can find many more uses for what appears to be such a simple concept. I myself have explored this concept more than anyone else and actually should make a decent video response to this. Only it would not be for educational matters, just viewing pleasure.

Wis

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 09:32:54 AM »
So my response video is up, with ****ty filming quality and slightly far. I can record it again if anybody is interested and can't see what's going on.

Edit: I created it as a video response but I have no idea why it is not linked to the tutorial yet. It might need approval?

Anyway, I will put it here for the people interested/bored

http://youtu.be/r6UG2e3t5rg

Note: don't switch to 720p, not worth

luabduch

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 01:36:41 PM »
unfortunately there's no way to redo the audio without putting the video down and editing the stuff again.
I'll give more attention to this in future videos.
About the tutorial, yes, it's probably more "showing what's possible and encouraging you to post responses" than "teaching how to do the concept".
I'd love to watch your research on sticktraps Arjan! I really hope you can send something!

Wis, I've just seen it on youtube. But I didn't receive it as a video response, can you send it again? (yes, I have to approve it)
I like the idea. popping the second diabolo one second before getting the first on sticktrap. I'll try to work on that and search for more possibilities...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal