Author Topic: 2D string wrap question  (Read 2612 times)

onewheeldave

2D string wrap question
« on: April 24, 2012, 08:39:45 PM »
My progress with 2 diabolos is being held back by an inability to accelerate them to high speeds- I've got a solid collection of moves that don't require high speed (leg stalls, figure eight suns, one-handed suns, suicide, various grindy things, a very quick and short sprinkler etc) but some of the things i want to learn, i think, require faster spinning diabolos.

Most diabolists seem to have the ability to do a dominant hand wrap and hover the diabolo while it picks up speed- i just can't get anywhere with it- when I wrap, it immediately starts to descend down the string and then messes up.

Bizarrely, when I do the wrap start, i can easily hover it as long as I want- but I can't pull one out of the shuffle and keep it hovering.

I know that someone's going to suggest doing quick wrap/unwraps on alternate diabolos, then gradually try to extend the time it's wrapped- I have worked on that, and will continue to do so, but a) my tolerance for practicing it is pretty low cos it tends to work fine some of the time, then randomly just tangles up & b) I've had zero progress in actually extending the hover time- that move for me only works if I wrap then immediately unwrap.

Clearly, there's some technique necessary to keep the hover going, and, unless someone can give me some indication of what it is I'm currently not doing, I'm wasting my time practicing it.

Can anyone help?

Sam 1060

2D string wrap question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 12:43:57 AM »
Try and film ur self doing the hover start n then film u trying to catch one watch both n see if there is a difference.

U could try n open ur arms wider and do ur back pulls on the caught one a little shorter/longer

Keep trying u can do tricks I can't but I can catch any when I want am sure it is something small
Hope this helps

Icebox

Re: 2D string wrap question
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 01:00:57 AM »
Grippier string will also help. If you have new string in, you get very little pull on your pulls. An alternative to power pulls are chinese accelerations if you prefer.

Or you could have accelerated them enough already and they are just spinning too fast to keep up  ;)

But seriously, grippier string, and long, deliberate pulls are a good place to start.

onewheeldave

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 02:24:02 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's not a string gripiness issue- I'm using Henry's yellow and always do the soap trick with new string; also, I often use the string so much that it gets too grippy for a lot of tricks.

I know I've tried to grab and hover with every stage of string, from newly soaped, right through to 'in desperate need of replacement'.

I had a go tonight and part of the problem is with the other (non wrapped) diabolo- I'm finding that if I don't apply much force to the wrapped one, it drops down the string, but, if I apply more acceleration force to the wrapped one, the over one gets thrown off the string.

So I'm guessing you have to consciously do something to ensure the non-wrapped diabolo doesn't get thrown off?

dudderscircus

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 06:16:13 AM »
I've had that problem before, I say switch the string, wear it in however you like (also rubbing it under a shoe helps) then see if it makes any difference. 8)
'nuff said

Sam 1060

2D string wrap question
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 08:08:15 AM »
To stop unwrapped one from jumping of u need to allow the sting to go under it so when u pull back on the wrapped side move the other stick down slightly this might help

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal