Author Topic: What's that called? Trick name thread.  (Read 19880 times)

Nathan

What's that called? Trick name thread.
« on: September 11, 2005, 03:07:25 AM »
I felt that there needed to be a thread where people could describe tricks that they had seen, and could get help finding out what those tricks are called. I have a feeling that there are widely accepted names for tricks that would be useful for everyone to know. Most such tricks that come to mind are tricks that are either commonplace and always used as transitions, or unbelieveably hard and only been done by a few diaboloists, and don't fit into any existing category. A few spring to mind.

1) A hard to describe trick: With one diabolo, a suicide/slowcide to start, but instead of the right hand catching the stick, it catches the string and swings the stick under the diabolo twice before catching it. Following this, the string in the right hand is released, and the diabolo swung to the right, whereupon the right handstick is released and the string is grabbed simultaneously. The stick orbits the diabolo about 2.5 times before the left stick is released and follows the right. The Diabolo/Sticks/String conglomerate is all suspended by the right hand holding the string. Finally, the right hand catches a stick and the trick finishes in a infinite suicide. (I dubbed it the dishwasher, but would like to know its real name.)

2)The 2 diabolo trick that starts like a sun, but the second diabolo to enter the sun doesn't complete it, and ends up in a frontwrap. (I call this one a "Half-Sun", but would like to know if it has a real name)

For a reference to the first trick, I saw it executed by Eric of the MFP in one of the shiltons (dead) videos, and by Jacob in the Sharpe's 2nd video. If anyone knows (or can think of) names for these tricks, or knows tricks seemingly without names, post it here.

(Sorry for the long post, I hope all my blabbering makes sense to all of you.)

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 04:32:37 AM »
1st was dubbed by eric an integral suicide, which now means any trick where no sticks are held or strings, but the diabolo and sticks rest on one hand by the string. usually, the look unbelievably sick. I've only seen one, but made up a real cool one last week and can do it pretty consistent now (got a video of it into a bigger combo, but the quality sucked and you couldn't see sticks or string, just the diabolo, which totally defeats the purpose of a stick release combo on film). the second one has been unformally called by people I taught it to the "gortex" for it's similarity to the "vortex". don't know what others call it.  maybe left sun to front wrap?
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 09:44:32 AM »
I Don't know what it's called, most people do it by accident but I like "Gortex."
Behind your back is your front.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 11:33:49 AM »
Now that it was identified as the Intergral suicide, reading the description again makes more sense now.  As for the second, I always seem to be ending in a right frontwrap after a left sun.  The Austin Convention Trailer on Alan Plotkin's site has Matt Hall doing a nice sun routine ending in the half-sun, slowicides the wrapped diabolo, catches the unwrapped one in his hand and throws it up to start hte shuffle again.  Lovely smooth trick, if I could catch that diabolo.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

ScottMcG

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 01:32:39 PM »
sorry cant help with either of yours, but ive got one of my own...
bare with my, im a begginer

it starts of as a chinese suicide,cept you do it twice
then when the left stick is swinging round for the second time, you swing the diabolo round over the right stick again, so that the left stick can orbit around again
in theory you can do it as many time as you want, but so far i can only make the left stick swing around 5 times
anyone know the name or that one?

Cheers

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 03:30:35 PM »
I'll go with "infinite suicides" type that in the search and you'll find exactly what you're looking for.  It doesn't have to start from a chinese suicide, most of the time it's from open string and you swing to the right and then circle the right handstick around the axle so that it's always wrapped as the other handsticks spins around it.

Chiok

seán_

Re: What's that called? Trick name thread.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 03:45:26 PM »
Quote from: Nathan

2)The 2 diabolo trick that starts like a sun, but the second diabolo to enter the sun doesn't complete it, and ends up in a frontwrap. (I call this one a "Half-Sun", but would like to know if it has a real name)

(Sorry for the long post, I hope all my blabbering makes sense to all of you.)

Sun To, or Sun Into...  was they way I seem to remeber hearing this or explaining this to others before. As in 'I do a FW climb to LH ST, then magic knot it thorugh to knee stall, bounce that up to armstall, exit that with a vortex and finish the move with an antisuicde... I start the whole thing of with a sun to frontwrap so I can link it with the sun combo before it'

Speaking as a mod, if you start a seperate thread asking 'whats this particular trick, I have done the research but I am stuck' or in the case of the Integral asked it in the thread for the Sharpes video, it will be easier to stop it turning into a monster confusing thread.

Nathan

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 04:21:54 PM »
Thanks for the help, all.

seán_, you are right. I started this thread with the assumption that a bunch of other people had questions about trick names in addition to me. I guess I should have realized that if this was true, there probably would be a thread like this already. Thanks for the advice.

seán_

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 05:24:14 PM »
People might find this  Nathan so lets see what happens to this thread. There have been a few started like this in the past that have changed into some of the single trick/family of trick threads. If this thread takes off I'm more than happy to put it in the tricks sticky like I just learnt to... and
Coolest flukes (first is very popular, second one not so)

in a perfect world like I say people could ask in the thread where they saw the trick and we could mod it to the right place, or start a new thread that could be either moved or developed into a usefull thread in its own right

Smoky

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 06:41:57 AM »
i think we called it mono suns

JonnyG

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 09:09:37 PM »
The trick: My freind starts off doing a move to reverse the strings, so that you have to put your left stick under to the right to untangle them (If that makes sense...) followed by swinging the diabolo out to the right (From his perspective...) and letting go of the right stick, (Like suicide...) but the diabolo hangs in the air for a second or two, while he puts his hand onto the string to spin the stick he let go of, so it goes back under the diabolo and he catches it again.

It looks amazing and he doesn't what its called, he just learned it from someone else... meh...

edit:\ I just watched Monregi's vid, and he does a variation of it.

edit 2:\ It appears to be a genocide, but my friends looks sightly different. You can disregard this post now :D.

Tom Derrick

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 11:10:52 PM »
That sounds more like a mini genocide than a genocide.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 11:57:26 PM »
It's a mini genocide, there are tons of variations of those.  For Eric Longequel it's practically a way of life...

As for the "monosuns" I've no problem getting into those, it's just doing the regular bloody left sun that is getting me.

Chiok

JonnyG

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 05:58:43 PM »
Quote from: Tom Derrick
That sounds more like a mini genocide than a genocide.

Sorry to be a complete newbie, but what is the difference?

James

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 06:05:26 PM »
I think:

Genocide - When you swing the handstick round by holding the other handstick, so the whole length of the string is spinning.

Minigenocide - When you swing the handstick by holding the middle of the string, so you're only swinging with a shorter length of string.
Step 1 - Download mIRC (http://www.mirc.com)
Step 2 - Connect to server irc.quakenet.org
Step 3 - Join channel #diabolo.ca

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 09:59:14 PM »
It's more of a combo this trick but every "good" diaboloist can do it.... I can't  :cry: You do a counterclockwise sun then turn ur self so you face the opposite direction (it should be on an open string now) then you put your right handstick over your neck then you hop the diabolo to the other side then you do another sun to the front with it still around your neck..... and it goes on...  You see Jacob Sharpe doing a variation of it in the new sharpe and bate video.  Can anyone give me detailed instructions on how do to it or make a tutorial?

Stevey

What & How is this trick...
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 09:08:36 PM »
Hi, iv seen from various places a trick where the diabolo goes from side to side above the diaboloers arms, iv also seen this done with two diabolos. It looks really cool and i cant really figure out how to do it. I would look in the archive thing but i dont know the name of this trick.
Thanks!

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 09:36:39 PM »
It's called an umbrella. The 2 diabolo one I think your talking about doesn't realy have a name. Is it one where each diabolo is caught in a loop around each stick and the the diaboloist pinches the string on each stick, and they then do an umbrella with each diabolo synchronously?Or is it one where you get each diabolo in a trapeze and undo the trapezes in a windscreen wiper effect life on www.2diabolo.net?
Behind your back is your front.

Spooned

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 09:45:28 PM »
For the one diabolo version, try circusplanet.net, oh a just for future reference hit the search button first.
Diabolo or Diablo

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 11:09:38 AM »
Quote from: Spooned
oh a just for future reference hit the search button first.
I mean no offence, but it's a little difficult to search for something, if you don't know what it's called.  And unfortunately I don't think the forum has enough content to type in a description and find out what it's called.  The Mods do a stella job of tidying though.

The 2 diabolo version might be similar to something that Matt Hall and Matt_ do (from what I've seen in videos) with the suns over the arms and back over?

Chiok

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal