Author Topic: What's that called? Trick name thread.  (Read 22981 times)

TyeTye

What's that called? Trick name thread.
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 04:08:02 PM »
clarification... any trick that you do without holding onto both handles BUT holding the string is called what?  

Duicides = both hands off handles, not holding strings...
Suicide = 1 hand off handle
mini genocide = 1 hand off handle, diabolo leaves string comes back on string.
Genocide = 1 handle is dropped to release... Diabolo leaves string in a big way... then is re captured on the string.
Integral suicide = both handles released, part of body holding string up.

What = both handles released, only holding onto string.  :)

one in particular that i'm thinking about.....
is doing a right side mini genocide. except... when you pop the diabolo off the string, you're going to hop the diabolo over y our right hand... so it's on the bit of string between your left handle and your right hand holding the string...(this leaves you with the right handle still swinging in a circle)

now with the momentum of the right handle already swinging counter-clockwise, and your hand already on the string to hold the diabolo up, you can guide the right swinging stick around the axel of the diabolo with a little aim... and you can swing your left handstick so both handles orbit around the diabolo. then of course re-grab them both.. and you're left with a backside...  clear as mud?....   :wink:

Spooned

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2006, 05:31:51 PM »
Thats a point Choik, but you can still try, i.e. this thread is here for a reason too. I think there is such a thing as a 2d umbrella, Antonin does it in Diabology in 'Baguttes and Diabolos' i think.
Diabolo or Diablo

Valium

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2006, 09:16:38 PM »
antonin does continious stopover (isnt it called like that?), doesnt he

Integral suicide = both handles released, part of body holding string up.

What = both handles released, only holding onto string. Smile

isnt that the same :P

TyeTye

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2006, 06:08:33 AM »
I just figured there would be a difference between Holding the string with your hand while the handsticks orbit... and suspending the string with a limb(aka arm or leg) while they orbit...

I might be wrong though?  Especially if there's no difference :)

Valium

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2006, 12:39:15 PM »
part of body also includes hand/fingers that hold the string in your what=....

TyeTye

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2006, 07:27:45 PM »
Valium :

Foiled by my own daftness.  You win...  Integral suicide it is.   heh.

Thanks

Tye

donald grant

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006, 10:58:26 PM »
Just in case anyone's interested, here's a brief explaination of the etymology (ooh, posh word) of some of those trick names we all know and love......

STICK GRINDS:  Back in 1991, I used to do a bit of skateboarding in between lectures with my mate Ewan.  He was also into diabolo, and any tricks on the stick became known as "grinds" after the similar trick of sliding on your trucks on coping/ kerbstones/ etc.. The first book (Stick Grinds and Suicides) came out in 1992, and the name seems to have stuck ( hey, it's better than "the catch on the stick trick")

SUICIDES:  The BJC in Coventry (1992) was the first time I saw a "letting go of the stick" trick and the chap who showed it to me called it a suicide.  The name seemed appropriate, that was crazy behaviour back then, so again, the name stuck.

DUICIDES:  Ok, I made this one up.  It seemed clearer than "double suicide" or "two-hand suicide".  So duicide it was....!

GENOCIDES:  Robert Biegler came up with some of the first ones.  He originally wanted to call it a "flipcide", but they seemed much too life-threatening for such a gentle name.  Then again, "genocide" may have been a bit too extreme, but there you go.

That's enough dusty history for the moment, I'm gettin' all misty-eyed and nostalgic....

Donald

Neil

Re: What's that called? Trick name thread.
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 08:48:10 PM »
sorry to drag up an old thread, but can anyone tell me what the trick done by chris garcia at 4.48 in his 'go draco with your diabolo' video is called, and how it is done?

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-8923308867488889389&q=go+draco

thanks

tghops

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2007, 02:41:10 AM »
I don't know if theres a name for it but what he's doing(I think) is back to back wrapped suicides.  I prefer to do mine starting from a right wrap.  Let go of the right stick and let it swing around and catch it, then tossing the left stick to your right and letting it wrap around once.  At this point you should be back in a wrap and in position to start the whole thing again.

Neil

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2007, 12:50:40 PM »
ah ok then, thanks

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2007, 12:58:20 PM »
the name for it is infinite slowicide

tghops

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2007, 02:51:56 AM »
oh yeah for some reason i just couldn't remember its name.  It seems that the more videos you watch the more tricks that go by without names.  For instance, it started with Eric's Integral but now there are so many great integral variations that have gone unnamed.  I guess thats what happens when so many people are busy creating new tricks.

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2007, 04:56:14 PM »
it started with Eric's Integral but now there are so many great integral variations that have gone unnamed.

Ermm since you brought Erics integral up, I learnt that integral wrong at first. I didn´t rotate my hand so the sticks only spun twice and the drop was bigger. I can do it both ways now though I still prefer the first one. Would this still fall under Erics integral or should it require a new name ???

in case anyone's interested, here's a brief explaination of the etymology (ooh, posh word) of some of those trick names we all know and love......

That´s a cool bit of history there. Are there any more names of tricks you know the origin of? Thank you in any case.

PPM

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2008, 09:23:49 PM »
hy folks

sorry for digging out such an old Fred but i guesse it fits best in here...

dose any one got an idea if the first trik in the vid got a name? (the second i know... and on the first im still working on it, acctually it was just a lucky shoot a training)

thanks in advance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQiN-6yVvvk

ps yes it was coold today, about 12°C *bäää*

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2008, 09:42:11 PM »
Are you sure that's the right video, there's only really one combo in that video and the first 'trick' or manouver is just a basic backside catch.
Behind your back is your front.

mykill

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2008, 11:10:12 PM »
theres a similar trick called the swim that involves that same motion however its popped up nad the the arms go around like your "swimming" and then catches it.
its just a basic catch really
This was a 5 star post ★☆★☆★

PPM

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2008, 06:40:34 AM »
Are you sure that's the right video, there's only really one combo in that video and the first 'trick' or manouver is just a basic backside catch.

yes I am... so it's "just" a combo no name for it (sec 5 to 10 in the vid) or could we call it swimmer to jump over (however... I just wanted to know if there is a name for this combo/trick)

thanks anyway... even when it's just a very basic (which is relative as every thing  ::) ) trick for moste of you, but im half proud of it (never been teach in diaboloing... :'()

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2008, 07:22:42 PM »
Don't get me wrong, it's a very important trick to learn. I can remember when I first learnt that trick and I felt over the moon. Combo's generally aren't given names because of the inconveniance of typing out a huge description which would let people know what the trick is without watching it first.
Behind your back is your front.

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
I just learned a trick myself! But I don't know if it has a name or already exist but anyways.. I will explain it and could someone tell me what kind of trick it is? I have no idea..

Ok I do a normal mini genocide with a left backside ( no wrapped mini gens but the basic one ) When I pinched the string and I catch the diabolo I release my left handstick and I catch the right handstick. When I did this I make another mini gen ( With this one I mean like a minigen from out of a backside )

I hope you can follow it and tell me what I just learned! I'm really proud of it cozz it looks so cool!  ;D Tnx!

mykill

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2008, 09:26:11 PM »
^^
@zwiggle
continuous mini-gens?
lol  ;)
This was a 5 star post ★☆★☆★

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal