Author Topic: Ambidextrous diabolo issues  (Read 8131 times)

garner

• VotW Contributor
Ambidextrous diabolo issues
« on: September 12, 2005, 09:24:16 PM »
i'm left-handed but i do diabolo right-handed and when i was just doing one it made no odds but when i began to learn two i felt it gave me a severe disadvantage especially as my shuffle origonally went in the wrong direction (that took me about 3 weeks to change).

the only advice i got during that time was "YOU IDIOT, learn it left-handed" which i tried and failed. i still have problems just because my body really wants to go t'other way and i would appreciate any advice, comments or criticising insults. And does anyone else have that problem?

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 10:03:29 PM »
sorry but.... HAHAHA  :wink:  Sorry, but that is really funny. My advise is... do what you want. you could either learn everything left handed and maybe make learning 2+ diab tricks easier. Or not, just leave it and dont wast your time degressing back to square one, only to re-build yourself on the other side.

Arjan

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 10:12:06 PM »
Try to learn it both ways! then I`ll sit back and watch what kind of insane stuff you will pull in about 2 years.

No, if you are able to make 1 diabolo righthanded, you should go on with this. Especially when you don`t come close to doing 1 diab lefthanded.

Lefties are weird people  8)

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 10:12:41 PM »
Yup, probably best to just go with what seems to work for you.

And don't forget, you may be finding this stuff difficult because it's difficult stuff!

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 10:27:55 PM »
learn it the "good" way, the right handed way ;)

otherwise, you could attempt to become an ambidextrous diaboloist, which is pretty rare i think..

Tom Derrick

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 12:02:26 AM »
Exactly the same happened to me when I tried to learn he shuffle. It took me a week before I realised that the reason that they slowed down so much was because they were going around the wrong way. All I needed to do was spend a bit of time learning it the right way. Unfortunately there's no shortcut, just got to do it the unnatural way until it isn't any more.

seán_

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 12:08:11 AM »
Quote from: Matt_

otherwise, you could attempt to become an ambidextrous diaboloist, which is pretty rare i think..

Bradfords full of them, well not really but Kat who I work with is left handed so some of the kids I have run into through work throw diabolos right handed but catch left handed and try to go around the leg  left handed etc. Its a hard thing to get them out of.

I like the idea of a real ambidextrous diaboloist, maybe using bearing diabolos. Eric from Leeds is a great multiskilled juggler who has a thing about symetry, he has shied away from diabolo as it tends to be awkward to get symetrical, especially with multiple diabolos

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 07:46:34 AM »
A couple of weeks ago there was a lad at my school who had the same problem but after a couple of weeks he got used to it. Another lad at my school is left handed so he does a 3 and 4 ball shower the left handed way but does everything else with his right hand.

"I'm ambidextrous I can write f*** all with both hands."
Behind your back is your front.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 07:59:42 AM »
i think ball juggling is a crapload different than diabolo. i do my 3 and 4 ball showers the left handed way, and im right handed. i just find them easier to do left handed...i do the "1s" with my right hand a lot better than with my left, thats all. diabolo is entirely different left handed vs. right handed..

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 08:08:32 AM »
Matt_ said:

learn it the "good" way, the right handed way :wink:

What are you talking about?? Left handed is by far the better way.  From a left handed point of view, when learning from videos its dominated by right handers and its incredibly easy to just mirror what you see on the screen.  Whenever I try and learn something from a lefty I get thoroughly confused and have to really think about which hand has to do what.  So I'd say switch to learning it left handed, in the long run I reckon you'll find things easier to grasp from watching videos or just standing in front of a righty showing you tricks and then you'll also have your base of right handed basic diaboloing under the belt for you to expand if you should ever wish to in the future.  :)

Tom Derrick

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 12:34:39 PM »
Quote from: guppygould
"I'm ambidextrous I can write f*** all with both hands."

Wouldn't that be 'ambisinestrous'?

sballe

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 03:23:10 PM »
BUMMER!

Im lefthanded and started of doing diabolo righthanded as well, since my friend is righthanded, and i figured it made no difference! BUT at some point (after about 5-10 basic 1D tricks) I changed it - dont know why, really. At first it felt INSANE, but after a little while I started to learn new tricks waay faster...

my advice; keep doing it righthanded, but start praticing lefthanded with 1D. Maybe you'll realize that lefty works better for you. If not - nothing lost!

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 05:14:47 PM »
You got me there Tom :(
Behind your back is your front.

arnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 07:54:24 PM »
or even ambisinistrous

Tom Derrick

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 10:45:10 PM »
Quote from: arnie
or even ambisinistrous

That would be it. I never concentrated in Latin

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 02:33:20 AM »
Quote from: JGherkin
What are you talking about?? Left handed is by far the better way.

heh, that's what Boxthor says. he told me he learns a lot easier from lefthanded yoyo videos (he's right handed) because it's like watching yourself in a mirror; you just do what it says.

but for me...watching a right handed person is easier. im so used to flipping the picture around in my mind that it really confuses me to see lefties.

Archangel_i

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2005, 08:56:45 AM »
Quote from: Tom Derrick
Quote from: arnie
or even ambisinistrous

That would be it. I never concentrated in Latin

Yep Latin,
dextra=right
sinistra=left
point is in french sinistre( sinistra) means bad, bad luck. coz in ancient times, they used to wach the fly of birds to predict the future, birds turning left was bas..really bad.

So back to the subject, lefty baddd, baddd.

lol
Ki gogot likimama

garner

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 08:42:57 PM »
thank you chaps i appreciate the advice and i intend to do abit of left handed on the side now aswell...and remember that lefthanded people are superior to righties and thats why there are less of us

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 10:59:30 PM »
Quote from: garner
and remember that lefthanded people are superior to righties and thats why there are less of us
Which Darwinist theory did you read?  Superior are the ones where the most survive.  I was sitting on a bench a while ago with a few of my juggling mates, two of which are left handed whilst me and the other guy were right handed.  Much banter ensued as to who was better.  What I will say though is that the two left handed guys are good at what they do and are this year's and last year's society chairman.  But who can use the bread knife now, eh?

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2005, 01:55:36 AM »
maybe in the UK lefties are better, you guys have to shift with your left hand. im happy with my American car, shifting with the right ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal